Giving to the North Carolina Peace Corps Association

Thank you for considering the North Carolina Peace Corps Association (NCPCA) in your charitable plans. We appreciate your generosity and thoughtfulness in ensuring our future success. Your donation will help us provide service to others, advance the ideals of the Peace Corps and strengthen our community of returned volunteers (RPCVs).

We encourage all North Carolina RPCVs and other supporters to become paid members of our association; see here for details. We also welcome general donations, which provide essential support for our programs and charitable activities.

Three other options enable you to have an even bigger impact while potentially receiving significant tax advantages — a “win/win” for you and NCPCA:

  • A qualified charitable distribution from an IRA
  • A donation via a donor-advised fund
  • Legacy giving through a will or estate plan

Each option is described below. We would be happy to talk with you about any questions or concerns you might have about your situation.

A Qualified Charitable Distribution from an IRA

You can donate to the North Carolina Peace Corps Association using a “qualified charitable distribution” (QCD) from your IRA retirement account. If you are age 70-½ or older, you can transfer a set amount directly from your IRA to one or more qualified charities. The maximum amount is determined annually; in 2024, it was $105,000. If you are required by age to take a required minimum distribution (RMD) from your IRA account, you can satisfy or reduce this requirement by making a donation to NCPCA. 

Please note that a QCD cannot be used to pay your NCPCA membership fee. To complete a QCD donation to NCPCA, please check first with your financial advisor. Then notify your IRA administrator about your intent. You will need to provide the administrator with the information shown below or use it to fill out the QCD charity form they provide you. The form may also ask whether there’s a specific activity you want to support.

North Carolina Peace Corps Association
EIN: 58-2161298
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 13238, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

Depending on the financial institution, your name may or may not be provided to NCPCA when we receive the donation. To be sure we know it’s from you, please send an email to our treasurer, Sara Boro ([email protected]), and we will confirm receipt.

Donate to NCPCA via a Donor-Advised Fund

Donor advised funds are charitable investment accounts established by individuals or families for the sole purpose of supporting charitable organizations they care about. Donors contribute cash, securities or other assets to the fund, which then make contributions to charities the donors designate. It’s a process that simplifies charitable giving while offering potentially large tax advantages. Vanguard, Fidelity and other financial institutions administer these funds, which have become popular in recent years.

If you have a donor-advised fund, please consider adding NCPCA to your list of charities receiving a donation. As a 501(c)(3) organization, NCPCA is eligible to be included, and your fund website should make it easy to do this. As with the Qualified Charitable Distribution, this donation cannot be used to pay your NCPCA membership fee.

If your fund website does not already have it, you may need to provide your fund with NCPCA’s address and Tax ID number, as shown in the previous section.

Your fund has provisions for how donations should continue being made if you die before all of the money is spent. You can get a beneficiary form from the plan administrator to state your intentions. We hope these will include NCPCA, which could benefit tremendously.Depending on how your fund is named, NCPCA may or may not know who made the donation when it receives the money. If you would like us to acknowledge the donation, please send an email to our treasurer, Sara Boro ([email protected]), and we will confirm receipt with you.

Legacy Giving for NCPCA

Bequest gifts are a deeply personal choice for individuals to consider and can make a tremendous impact on a nonprofit organization. We would be deeply honored to be included in your plans and would welcome an opportunity to discuss your intentions. Please reach out to our president, Jennifer Chow ([email protected]), or our treasurer, Sara Boro ([email protected]), to discuss further.

We encourage you to seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor if you plan to name NCPCA as a beneficiary in your will or estate plan. They can guide you about important considerations, such as possible tax implications for your heirs. You should also talk with NCPCA about how you would like it to use your legacy donation.

The language for your donation can be as simple as this sentence: “I give to the North Carolina Peace Corps Association, a nonprofit currently located at P.O. Box 13238, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, EIN: 58-2161298, NUMBER (written as an amount or percent of the estate), for its charitable use and to further its goals.” 

You can also name NCPCA as a beneficiary to your retirement plan or life insurance policy. Simply complete a beneficiary designation form provided by your plan administrator, which is usually available online. NCPCA’s Tax ID (EIN) number, if needed, is 58-2161298.

While you may choose to remain anonymous, we would be honored to celebrate your generosity and commitment to NCPCA, as appropriate. This is another reason to reach out to NCPCA when including it in your bequest or estate plans.

W2 Form and IRS Letter of Determination

When setting up any of these options, your financial institution may ask you to provide NCPCA’s signed W2 form or IRS letter of determination for tax-exempt status. Our treasurer can provide these documents. Please contact Sara Boro ([email protected]).

Thank you for supporting the North Carolina Peace Corps Association! We look forward to working with you to make this process as smooth as possible and to transforming your plans into a legacy worthy of your generosity.

Skip to content